Mar 20, 2008

Parent Training #2 - 3/18/08

At this session, we talked about how to communicate more positively with our ADHD children. We practiced the art of "Active Listening". I need to listen actively to Joey when he is trying to tell me about his day or something that happened. Usually I will get bored after a couple of minutes and start doing my own chores around the house while only half listening. And sometimes I will jump in and try to give a solution before he is done talking. I need to stop all of that, stop what I am doing and just listen. I feel like an idiot that I didn't even notice I was doing this. I hate it when people do that to me and I have been doing it to him!

We also learned about how to give our child corrective feedback while not being so negative or hurtful. We should also be specific when we give praise and always find something to praise them about. I think Jonathan and I have been pretty good at the praise part for Joey. I think we give him praise quite a bit even when we don't feel like it. I will still make an effort to be better at it and try to notice more things that he does right. I also need to make sure I am giving him at least 4 praises for every negative comment.

Our homework is to practice attentive listening, giving praise and corrective feedback.

No comments: