Mar 20, 2008

Parent Training #2 - Homework

Yesterday, I tried to be an active listener when Joey got off of the school bus. He talked for a good 10-15 minutes non-stop. It was actually harder than I thought to stop doing my own things while I was listening. It was hard for me to sit still and look at him as he talked and rambled. But it seemed that when I did that he didn't talk as long as he USUALLY does. He seemed satisfied enough with the talk to go on happily about his business and play his games and watch tv. Normally, I am probably giving him the impression that I really want him to stop talking and am not really listening. So, he talks more and more trying to get my attention.

Maybe I'm not such a terrible mother after all! haha

We also baked cookies together last night (which was also part of special time that I was supposed to do with him LAST week) - oops! It went well though and I remained calm and let him have fun.

I praised Joey last night because he went ahead and started putting his pajamas on when it was time for bed and I did not have to tell him to do that. I was specific and when I told him thank you for doing that, he replied by saying, "I like to make you happy, momma". Now I feel like crap because I probably make it hard for him to make me happy some days. I need to be better and not so hard to please.


... I hope to have more things to write about as the week progresses...

No comments: