Mar 30, 2008

Playgroup #2 - 3/30/08

The researchers had the four boys play a problem solving game where they had to figure out how to get from one spot in the room to another using folders for stepping stones and without touching anything in the room. We the parents were instructed to help our kids follow the rules and help them in making friends. That wore me out! Joey did fine and all the kids were good but I tend to get worked up myself when there are adult voices talking everywhere and boys flying around the room like a swarm of bees. The other parents jumped right into instructing their boys but I think I just sort of shut down for the first 15 minutes or so. After I had time to process it I was able to walk over to Joey and give him some feedback. I could tell that all the chaos bothered Joey as well. It did not seem to bother the other boys at all. Joey got frustrated when he couldn't get anyone to hear him trying to say his ideas for the game but he only is very upset for about a minute and then snaps back into normal mode.

I was thinking that it would be helpful if there was a time when the researchers could actually coach the kids or help them understand more about ADHD and how to handle it when making friends. I believe that Joey hears my voice so constantly that he is immune to it and it doesn't break through the chaos to get into his thoughts. I wonder if other adults talked to him about all these things if he would listen and be more receptive.

After the problem solving activity, the boys could choose board games to play with each other. Joey picked the Guess Who game that he seems to like the best. He got quite frustrated at times when he didn't feel like he was doing really good at the game. He won the first round and is always a great sport when he wins. I am proud that he will not brag and he always says something nice to other players, such as "good job!". On the second round, Joey lost the game and he got a little upset. He is not such a great loser. After that game he played Jenga briefly and I played it with him before leaving for home.

The hour long playgroup goes by really fast. I really wanted to talk with the other parents there and get to know them but there wasn't time for that.

There will be one last playgroup on May 4.

No comments: